Updated: Nov 11, 2019
Like it or not, winter is coming!! It's time to start cooking those hearty recipes that warm you to the bone.
When we think of winter recipes, we might think of more hearty meals. Remember though that hearty does not have to mean unhealthy! There are still ways to make versions of your favorite creamy winter recipes and keep them 'light'!
Here is one of my FAVORITES! I love to make this recipe with 'chicken of the woods'. But, this mushroom might be difficult to find. If you cannot find it, use your favorite mushroom! ENJOY! :)
This AMAZING vegan and gluten free risotto is:
-FULL OF FLAVOR
-A WARM HUG IN A BOWL! :)
Serving size: 4 ; Prep Time: 20 mins ; Cook Time: 30 mins
-1 cup risotto rice
-3 medium shallots
-4 garlic cloves
-4 tbsp olive oil
-1/2 cup white wine
-2 1/2 cup vegetable broth
-1 can coconut milk (14oz)
-6 cups mushrooms (chicken of the woods, or your preference)
-1 bunch asparagus
-2 tbsp soy sauce
-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
-Nutritional yeast to garnish
-Red pepper flakes to garnish
-Parsley to garnish
1. In a large skillet or flying pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil, stir in 1/2 of the diced scallions and 2 cloves of garlic. Fry (while stirring) for 4-5 mins over medium heat.
2. Add rice, stir for about 1 minute or until the rice is opaque. Add wine and keep stirring (constantly) until the wine is absorbed.
3. Add 1 cup of vegetable broth to the rice and cook on low-medium heat while stirring constantly (the goal is not to let the rice stick to the bottom of the pot/pan). Once the liquid is absorbed, add 1/2 cup of broth at a time until the liquid is absorbed and the risotto is cooked and creamy (keep adding broth and stirring until absorbed. Do this for roughly 15 mins or until the rice is fully cooked).
4. In a separate skillet, heat the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil, stir in remaining shallots and garlic and fry for 4-5 minutes over medium heat.
5. Dice mushrooms and asparagus to preferred size.
6. To the new skillet, add the mushrooms and asparagus. Fry for 3-5 minutes.
7. Add balsamic vinegar, soy sauce and coconut milk. Stir, then let simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. Transfer. the mushroom mixture to the risotto rice, stir in the nutritional yeast and sprinkle garnishes on top of each dish separately. ENJOY! :)